Thursday, January 22, 2009

Guideposts.com - Advice from a Loser: "Appreciating the Good in a Bad Situation"

Have you ever had one of those weeks that was just awful?

Of course you have. We all have. And I just came off of one of them.

This past week started with me just not feeling very good at all. During my workout on Monday I started feeling it. By Wednesday I was in full blown “sick mode.” That’s especially miserable when life doesn’t stop just because you want to. I am sure you all can relate.

I felt weak…puny…pitiful. It was hard to care about anything.

By the weekend, I couldn’t suffer in silence anymore and I gave in and went to an Acute Care Center where I was diagnosed with bronchitis and a severe sinus infection. I don’t mean to complain, but I just want to paint the picture of where I was physically and emotionally and why it was particularly unpleasant when in the middle of that same night, my 8-year-old, Noah, showed up on the side of our bed violently ill with one of the worst stomach viruses I had seen in a long while.

Poor thing. He couldn’t keep anything down all night. The next day was Sunday and so my husband got himself and the baby ready for church and the two family members who were not sick took off for several hours and left the two us piled up in bed. I am sure we looked pretty pitiful…just me, Noah and a bucket.

But sometime during that morning my perspective began to change. As I got feeling a little better once the antibiotic started kicking in, and Noah started feeling better once the virus and fever started to leave him, what we were left with was actually a very precious time together. What started out as sheer misery actually morphed into a really sweet memory.
We lay in bed together and had a half a day of uninterrupted time…just the two of us. And I don’t know about the children in your life…but to get either of my sons to sit still for a minute is a miracle. We watched some TV, but mostly just talked. We talked about all sorts of important things: his favorite video game and what level he had gotten to…we talked about second grade politics…we just shared our hearts.

I learned a valuable lesson during that time. Sometimes God allows you to get knocked off your feet to let you see what’s really precious. Even though I hate being sick and hate seeing my child sick even more; it was a good lesson and turned into a time with my son that I will cherish.
So when things don’t seem like they are going exactly like you wish they would…look a little deeper.

Sometimes you might just find a blessing in disguise.

No comments: