Wednesday, April 13, 2011

It's time to say, "Yes, I Can!"




I just returned from speaking at an event for an organization called Yes, I Can, Inc. At 39, I was on a slate of speakers with a bunch of 20'ish Hollywood actors, and it really made me nervous. The audience, too, was younger than those I normally address.


Without even realizing it, I began the old, negative self-talk. I asked myself, “What do I have to offer this group? I’m an old lady compared to the rest of them. They couldn’t possibly want to listen to what I have to say.”


It was like I was transported back in time to when I was their age. And that wasn’t a very empowered, confident time in my life.


But fortunately I have learned a thing or two on this journey I have been on for the past few years. And I know better than to give into that kind of negativity. I believed I was there for a purpose. All I could do was share my heart and my story.


In the end, I got great feedback from the very same kids I was so nervous about. I got a chance to talk one-on-one with several of them; they said they got inspiration and motivation from my story of transformation, a fact that still humbles and amazes me to this day.


The experience reinforced some things for me, things that closely mirror the mission of the organization I was working for:


What if I don’t listen to the voices of fear, uncertainty or doubt?
I can choose. I can change. I can persevere. I can do it.
In a world that is telling me I cannot, it’s time to stand and say, “Yes, I can!”

So I leave you with those same encouraging words today. Whatever the obstacle you are facing, remember: Only you can choose your path—whether it be a path to success or failure. If you want to lose weight, or get an education, or change careers, or build better relationships, you can do whatever you want to do.



And no matter what the world says, it’s time for you to say, “Yes, I can!”

No comments: